Monday, July 28, 2014

Flexibility!



I am beginning my fourth week of PiYo here.  This program is unique and I am liking the benefits that I have already found through approaching my fitness through PiYo.  When I think of PiYo, one of the first words that comes to mind is flexibility!  You may have heard the life saying, “Blessed are the flexible, for they will not be bent out of shape.”  This of course applies to many areas of life and it has always made me smile!  This could be because flexibility has not always been my best thing.  We are talking physically and figuratively on this one!  I was never the Twister champ. :)  As much as I am a fun-loving person, stubbornness is right up there and I know that I can be overly idealistic at times. 

My life flexibility is frequently stretched daily.  I think that many of us can relate to that!  Being a mom is like boot-camp for flexibility training.  When I think back over the past eight years, I would certainly be much more uptight if not for these two kids who have rearranged my life. 

 
Many of have heard that it is important to "warm up" in order to not injure ourselves while working out.  I am thinking of life right now and how if I am not "warmed up" for my day, it is not going to be good.  How do I warm up for life?  I spend some time reading my Bible each morning and take a few moments to reflect on what I have found there.  I ask the Lord to please shape me and allow my life to align with HIS plans for my day.  If I do not do these things, I am going into my day COLD.  Flexibility is increased when we are warmed up and are pushing ourselves to reach beyond our current range.  I am feeling that in life these days. 

Here is a song that has always reset my focus.  This is what enables me to reach beyond where I am right now.  Without this, I am so rigid.  I have found music to be key in shaping where I place my thoughts throughout the day. 
 
PiYo, Flexibility

I have definitely felt a significant improvement in my physical flexibility since starting with PiYo.  If you are intrigued by the idea that you could become more flexible yourself, contact me for details!

Here are some of the benefits of increased flexibility:
    * as listed on livestrong.com:

Less Back Pain

Tight muscles in the back and lower body can cause back pain, and improving your flexibility can help prevent and treat that pain. “Yoga Journal” explains that when the hamstrings are tight, they pull the pelvis down and create more pressure for the lower back. Plus, there is less stress on the spine when the hip flexors and pelvic muscles are flexible. Flexibility can also ease tension and soreness in muscles to relieve pain in the back and other areas of the body.


Increased Range of Motion

If your muscles are tight, they can cause a reduced range of motion throughout your body. This can give you trouble with everyday activities such as reaching overhead to take a dish out of the cupboard. Becoming more flexible can make these types of activities, as well as exercising, easier. It improves the range of motion throughout the body to help the body move more easily.


Injury Prevention

You are more prone to injury of the muscles, as well as tendons and ligaments, if you are not flexible, explains “Yoga Journal.” The tendons around the muscles stiffen when you do not stretch and keep them flexible. Having tight muscles gives you a reduced range of motion, so it is easier to go past that range of motion and injure yourself. Likewise, if you improve your flexibility, you increase your range of motion and lower your risk of an injury to the muscles, tendons and ligaments.


Improved Circulation

Tension in the muscles affects circulation, which can prevent nutrients and oxygen from properly moving through the body. When the muscles are more flexible, they relax and create improved circulation. The act of stretching also encourages circulation by helping blood move to the muscles and joints.


Less Stress and Better Posture

Flexibility can improve your posture because tight muscles affect your spine’s alignment. Flexible muscles also have less tension, so you can feel less stress than you would with a tight and tense body, according to the American Council on Exercise .

No comments:

Post a Comment