Sunday, July 20, 2014

Clean Blondie Bars


This evening we made a recipe that I have seen floating around lately.  I had heard from others that it is quite good but we actually had to make it here before I could fully believe that.  They were right!  This is delicious!!!  You can NOT taste the chickpeas.  Really and truly.  These bars are gooey and wonderful.  Since this recipe is made without eggs you really do not have to worry at all if you would like to enjoy them on the slightly under-cooked end of the spectrum.  They are not the least bit dry or coarse.

I did have to pick up some chocolate chips while out shopping at Wegmans earlier this afternoon.  That is the one ingredient in this recipe that I would not normally keep in the house!  I used the mini-chips for this recipe.  The kids just seem to find them delightful.  My strategy is to purchase my chocolate chips from the bulk section.  This way I am able to just bring home less than a cup of chips and not have to worry about having the rest of the bag sitting around here unattended.  That would be dangerous!!  

Here is my own slight twist on this recipe which I have seen in several places.

Clean Blondie Bars

1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup natural almond butter (you could also use PB)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons raw honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons to sprinkle on top

Preheat oven to 350.  I baked these in my 8" round stoneware baker from Pampered Chef. I did not need to prepare the surface in any way.  

In a food processor (my Ninja), combine everything but the chocolate chips.  Process until the batter is smooth.  Fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.  

Spread batter evenly in pan. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are golden.  The bars may appear undercooked but they will be delicious!  Cool pan on wire rack for 20-30 minutes.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment