Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Health, Hormones and Pregnancy??

First, I am NOT pregnant.  Let's just get that out there and settled right now!  My children are ages 5 and 7.  Both arrived via c-section.  The 2nd time around was a planned c-section and I had my tubes tied that day.  Okay, now that we have hopefully cut off any rumors, let's get into this topic!

I have been thinking about this for months but wasn't sure where to go with it?  This is kind of an odd topic for a blog entry.  I realize this!  :)  But I think that it could be helpful to some people and so I wanted to share.  First I am going to tell a bit of my own story and then expand from there!

I began my health transformation in September of 2013.  I was about 75 pounds overweight at that point in time.  I had not always been that overweight, but after having both of the kids and no longer working a more physical job with horses as I had for years...  well, one thing just led to another and before I knew it, there I was wearing the biggest size that I had ever been!  Yikes!  I still have about 20 pounds to go, but have made some strong progress this past year.  The adventure continues!!  You are invited to join me! 
Chalean Extreme, PiYo, 21 Day Fix, Shakeology
And now we are going to get personal and hopefully not TMI for you!  For ALL of my life (since age 12!), my cycle was NOT regular.  At all.  I was usually at least 34-40 days and would range right up to 65+ days.  I did not have any recognizable issues and just chalked it up as my regular/irregular.  Annual exams were fine and this all just seemed to be my own "normal".  My periods were dreadful at times, in regards to flow and great discomfort.  Thankfully, it was not difficult for me to conceive, as I had learned to track my ovulation patterns and was self-aware in this area after having done some homework on the topic!

Fast forward to October 2013.  September 16, 2013 had been my own "Day 1" in transforming my health by changing my fitness and nutrition.  I began drinking Shakeology  daily, eating clean, doing 30 minute at home workouts and checking in with my secret FB group challenge group.  Here is more info on how it all works.  I was SHOCKED in October to have a 28 day cycle for the first time in my life.  And guess what???  I have now been at a regular 27-29 days for the past 12 months!!!!!!  What!?!?  After 23 years of irregular cycles, I was suddenly regulated??  I mean, I realize that I was going into this 75 pounds overweight.  But it didn't all come off that first month or anything!  My cycles had been irregular back when I was "only" 30 pounds overweight in my early-mid 20's.  These days my periods have become so much more manageable than they had ever been in the past. This whole area is just another reminder to me that when we are good to our bodies, we are going to see some changes, experience others and who even knows how much good we are doing internally?  Pretty amazing that this is all possible!

Okay, now for the pregnancy part.  I know of FIVE women on my team who have been in challenge groups with me and are now expecting!  Not all of them were "planning/trying" for this by any means.  And a challenger in one of my groups who just completed her first round of the 21 Day Fix with some fantastic results jokingly commented yesterday that she knows of five friends who have become pregnant after doing the Fix.  Here is a description of the 21 Day Fix.  Only one of her friends overlap with my own list of five.  So, that is 9 women who are now expecting after making some changes to their nutrition and fitness??  Many of these girls began their own Day 1 looking to lose 5-30 pounds on their own journey.  These are not a bunch of women who were all in the "needing to drop 75 pounds" category along with me!  This illustrates to me the power we have available by making a few adjustments to what we are putting into our bodies while really boosting our nutrition and adding some daily exercise.  

I am NOT a medical professional and I know that there are a myriad of complex issues that affect our hormones and fertility.  You could be the most healthy, proactive, self-aware woman in the world and still be dealing with heartbreaking challenges in this area.  This is one of life's big, hard mysteries.  I know that "getting healthy" can go a long way but it is just the tip of the iceberg in some situations!  So I am not trying to simplify all of this and make a blanket statement of judgment call for anyone.  Please understand that!  What I did want to share is my own experience and what I am seeing in the lives of those in my challenge groups!  :)  If any of this piques your interest, let's talk!

Chalean Extreme, PiYo, 21 Day Fix, Shakeology

No comments:

Post a Comment