Sunday, November 2, 2014

Random Benefits of Sweat!



I was reading an article in Fitness magazine while working on the morning post in one of my challenge groups.  This article was written by Ayren Jackson-Cannady and you can view the complete article here: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/health/sweat-health-benefits/.  I am going to draw from this article as I include a few interesting highlights below...

Sweat Eases Pain

Got a kink in your neck that won't quit (and no one around to massage it out)? Working up a sweat just might soothe the soreness, experts say. "Exercise stimulates neurochemical pathways in the brain, resulting in the production of endorphins that act as natural painkillers," says James Ting, MD, a sports medicine physician at Hoag Orthopedic Institute in Irvine, California

I have found this to be true!  I am prone to stiff neck tension when I have been too busy with my life.  If I can move beyond the "not feeling like working out" part, I almost always feel better when I am done.  And I have to admit that I am thankful for my husband who is hands-down the BEST at working on any kinks that I may have.  But if he is getting ready to head to work and I don't want to have to wait until later in the day for some help with my neck, a sweaty workout does offer some benefits!

Sweat Rids the Body of Toxins

Not feeling the whole post-weekend juice detox plan? Hit the mat for a super sweat session instead. Some experts believe that sweating can flush the body of system-clogging substances like alcohol, cholesterol, and salt.

I think that this one is kind of a no-brainer... you can practically FEEL the yucky stuff leaving you during a really great sweaty workout!  When I think of the workouts that make me sweat the most, "Lower Fix" from the 21 Day Fix and "Sweat" from PiYo are at the top of my list!  A good sweat can feel redemptive at times!
 
21 Day Fix, ChaLEAN Extreme, PiYo, Clean Eating, Shakeology

 

Sweat Controls Mood Swings

Maybe you've already noticed — before a workout you're Ms. Crabby Pants. But afterward you feel like giving everyone hugs and high fives. It seems natural that we associate feeling warm with a sense of well-being and relaxation, but there may in fact be a scientific explanation for this feeling, says Dr. Ting. "Research has suggested that temperature-sensitive neural circuits to specific regions in the brain exist and may play a significant role in controlling mood." So the next time you sense yourself being short, take a break for a Bikram yoga session or a run for a get-happy fix.

Oh YES!!  This is me for sure!!  And on the days that I don't fit in my workout at the planned time, I have to fight to keep my mood and attitude on track!  Who can relate??

Sweat Prevents Colds and Other Infections

If you've ever wished you could walk around dousing everything in sanitizer wipes to prevent illness, you might be in luck. A study from Eberhard Karls University Tubingen in Germany suggests that human perspiration contains a naturally occurring antimicrobial peptide called dermcidin, which has been proven to fight tuberculosis germs and other dangerous pathogens, says Dr. Bowe. It's like an invisible force field against germs!

This is good to know!  I am not the biggest germaphobe out there, but with my two kids and especially with my son who touches and picks up EVERYTHING, I feel like we are bringing more germs than necessary into our lives!   
 

Sweat Lowers Kidney Stone Risk

Yes, really! Research from the University of Washington found that regular exercisers sweat out salt and tend to retain calcium in their bones, rather than having them — salt and calcium — go into the kidneys and urine where stones form. Frequent sweaters also tend to drink more water and fluids, which is another stone prevention mechanism.

Fascinating!!!  Thankfully, I do not have any personal experience with kidney stones.  But I have heard how dreadful they are and even the thought makes me cringe.  If my workouts can do anything to lower my risk on this front, GREAT!  :)  Taking an interest in my health and making changes to my fitness and nutrition has become a lifestyle for me.  I still have plenty of my own progress to make and you are invited to join me!
 
21 Day Fix, ChaLEAN Extreme, PiYo, Clean Eating, ShakeologyI

 

No comments:

Post a Comment