Monday, June 16, 2014

The Potential of a Circle Approach


Circle of Influence
Earlier this afternoon I recorded a YouTube video about something that I have been thinking about these days.  Check out "Why Do Circles Work Better".  Okay, so I now realize that is a rather cryptic title!  Here is where I am coming from with this line of thought... I will expand a bit more here on what I shared within the video.  

When I think of a circle in life, a few things come to mind.  One is that we each have circles which make up a certain rotation within our everyday life: Friends and family plus co-workers, neighbors, contacts from our past, parents of our kids' friends, church and community connections, etc.  We were not designed to function in isolation from everyone around us!  God created us for relationships with one another, as messy as that can become from time to time.  What you and I decide to do has a ripple effect that flows out to those in our circles.  

The second thing that I picture when I think of circles is that this is one of my own favorite approaches to learning.  Being able to experience something with those around you is oftentimes much more meaningful than hearing something from a distance and then going on your way without any real reason to apply what you have heard.  There is a lot to be said for accountability!  Even when this simply comes in the form of a follow-up discussion and on-going exchange of ideas in relation to a given topic, you are in a position to really put into action what you have heard.  While recording that video earlier this afternoon, one example that came to mind was from my time as a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Coordinator a few years ago.  So often we come away with more after hearing from someone who is present within our circle rather than someone we know only from a great distance.  There are of course times to learn within a large group setting and the energy there can be indescribable!

Circle of Learning

As I apply this circle idea to coaching and my Challenge Groups, I think of how we each have to opportunity to influence those in our circle.  This is not necessarily through one big, grand moment complete with drum-roll!  Rather it is through the consistency of everyday life and how we are approaching it.  In the video I was sharing a bit about a recent conversation that I had with a friend as we were facing a buffet table during a "bring a dish to share" sort of event.  Pretty AMAZING to pause and picture the ripple effect of my own learning and decisions!  The other thing with circles is that THIS IS WHY Challenge Groups WORK SO WELL!!!  Back to that idea of a community where there is on-going discussion and putting it all into practice together.  Accountability can be the difference between what we plan to do and what we ACTUALLY do any given day.  For example, today is Day One in my Summer Challenge Group.  Part of today's assignment was to take and then share within the group a sweaty, post-workout photo.  I oftentimes do my workout early in the morning.  But today my five year old son was in our bed at 5 AM and it was my husband's early morning at work.  Plus we have been preparing for a big adventure that begins tomorrow morning and my mind has been between five lists and I was chomping at the bit to get started with all of that.  So... my workout??  Hmm... I am not at all opposed to working out later in the day.  I just know this: if I do not begin around the time planned, my likelihood of completing said workout drops lower and lower as the hours pass.  BUT, wait!  I needed to share a post-workout photo within the group today.  And my goodness, Total Body Cardio Fix from the 21 Day Fix is only 30 minutes long PLUS it is one of my favorite routines.  SO, time to push play!  My 7 year old daughter joined me for the entire thing.  She was using 2 and 3 pound weights and I had the 12's today.  She even wanted to snuggle in for that sweaty photo at the end!  One thing I have learned is that even on the days I may drag my feet with getting to the point of actually pushing "play", I NEVER regret having done so by the time that I finished!  And today is was the accountability to my fitness/nutrition circle (aka my challenge group) that made all the difference.  Thank you friends!

Mother Daughter Workout
 





No comments:

Post a Comment