Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Comfort Zone? Friend and Foe...


Oh yes... the comfort zone! This means something different to each of us.  When it comes to me and my daughter and the way we feel at home in our space, we are OPPOSITES.  Check out the collage above.  Living with college roommates almost prepared me for living with a seven year old who is so very different from me!  The above photos were taken a while ago.  We have since redecorated her bedroom.  As I think of how we are so individually wired, an contrasting like this comes to my mind.  I am happy to say that her room no longer becomes THIS much of a mess.  Sigh of relief from me!  But to be honest, room cleaning with her in her own space is still one of my least favorite household tasks!  Who is with me on that statement when it comes to your own kids?!?      

In some ways, I crave this space where comfort reigns.  In a cozy socks and favorite old cardigan sort of way.  Other times, it is literally a caution sign of potential danger up ahead of me!  Lately there has not been much risk of remaining too long in one place.  Life is filled with variety these days and keeps me on my toes!  I think back on the times that I have become complacent with any area of life.  This typically creeps up on me when I spend too long in a cozy socks/favorite cardigan frame of mind.  I have come to realize that I really do enjoy the thrill of the unknown and the necessary push of trying something new!  
The key for me is to have the cozy socks sort of PEOPLE actively present in my life.  When I feel that comfort zone in my key relationships I am much more likely to really go for it with something new.  And as with anything, balance is so helpful.  If I burn through all of my energy in pursuit of the next thing, I am missing out on the simple everyday pleasures and people that surround me right now.  Is there an area where you have felt the nudge to branch out but are just not confident that this adventure will be a positive experience for you?  


Right now I am gearing up to attend a three day practicum next week.  The kids and I have joined a homeschooling community called "Classical Conversations".  We will meet weekly on Fridays beginning after Labor Day.  I have agreed to become a tutor for Nathan's age group.  This means that I am currently learning LOTS as both a parent and a tutor.  Next week we will be headed down to the Pittsburgh area where we will camp out for two nights at a home with three other Erie families.  Us moms will attend the practicum and our kids will attend the on-site educational day camp.  It is going to be an adventure for sure!  I am appreciating the detailed emails that I have been receiving from those leading the event.  But I am also a bit intimidated.  Time to start a master packing/planning list tomorrow.  THAT will help me to return to a bit of my comfort zone!

When I feel rattled, it is a great time to remember this truth:

No comments:

Post a Comment