Saturday, December 27, 2014

Dijon Pork Loin - Dinner Under $11 for a Family of Four!

Insanity Max 30, Clean Eating, Budget Dinner

Good evening!  Tonight I am blogging about what we had for dinner this evening.  :)  This was my first time to make the Dijon Broiled Pork Loin recipe from Insanity Max 30!  We had made the Tomato and Cucumber Salad last week and it was a hit!  I hear on a regular basis that "it must be really expensive to eat clean - for your whole family and everything!".  Actually, it does not have to be!  I even do about 90% of our grocery shopping at Wegmans.  Some mistakenly consider Wegmans to be a "luxury grocery store".  They are top-notch but their store brand prices in particular are excellent.  There are a few items on my Sam's Club list, such as almond milk, frozen berries and coconut oil.  Those three are a much better deal at Sam's!  But pretty much everything else comes from Wegmans, which is a most wonderful grocery store!  I attended college just south of Rochester, NY and then spent a couple of additional years working in that area after graduating from Elim Bible Institute in 2001.  Wegmans has their headquarters in that part of NY and it has been my favorite grocery story for many years!  

Anyways, back to tonight's dinner.  I was cleaning up the kitchen this evening and realized that I had spent under $11 to prepare the evening meal for the four of us!  That is good to know.  Our children are ages 5 and 7.  I would estimate that between the two of them, they share a typical adult serving.  I eat the amounts defined in the Max 30/21 Day Fix guides.  Veggies are a 1 cup serving, grains are a 1/2 cup and proteins are typically 3/4 cup.  My husband typically eats 50% more than what I eat myself.

On a side note, today was the MOST BEAUTIFUL December day here in Erie, PA!  The temperature reached 58, the skies were sunny and the day was not windy.  We headed to nearby Asbury Woods to enjoy several hours out on the trails and at the parks!    
 

Tonight's meal is also a time-saver!  I easily made enough of the pork loin to last for another entire meal.  This pork loin comes as a Club Pack from Wegmans.  They do an excellent job with their "Keeps Fresh" packaging.  We cooked 1/2 of the Club Pack this evening and that is enough for two meals for our family.  The package is dated for January 14th - purchased today and good to have on hand for a later date.  Hurray!  The rice will be enough for another dinner and there will be some left to include with my husband's lunch on Monday.  The tomato cucumber salad is simple to whip up and is best if eaten the same day. 

Insanity Max 30, Clean Eating, Budget Dinner
    
Dijon Broiled Pork Loin
From Insanity Max 30 Nutrition Guide
  - Amounts adjusted to match Wegmans Pork Loin Packaging

Nonstick Cooking Spray
2 Pounds Raw Lean Center-Cut Pork Tenderloin
5 tsp. Dijon Mustard
5 tsp. Whole Grain Mustard
5 tsp. Olive Oil

1) Preheat the broiler on high.
2) Lightly coat broiling pan with spray.  Place pork on broiling pan approximately 5-6 inches from the heat.
3) Broil for 16-20 minutes, turning every 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
4) While pork is cooking, combine the mustards and oil in a small bowl.  Mix well.
5) When pork reaches desired doneness, remove from oven and place on a serving plate and spread the mustard mixture on top.
6) Cover loosely with foil and allow pork to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.

See below for the recipe for the Tomato Cucumber Salad!  I first made this as part of a snack during my own DAY One of Insanity Max 30.  We have been enjoying it ever since!  I am currently on Day 13 of this 60 Day Program.  Tomorrow I will put together a recap of my own Week Two of Max 30.

Insanity Max 30, Clean Eating, Budget Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment