Monday, December 22, 2014

Cinnamon Cutout Cookies - Soft and Flavorful!!

Cinnamon Cutout Cookies, Clean Eating

I have a confession to make.  I am 36 years old.  My children are ages 5 and 7.  I have NEVER made cutout cookies before today.  To be honest, the thought of the mess was a big turn-off for me!  And a scenario where the kids are handling and eating and then touching everything else with raw eggs is enough to give me nightmares. Salmonella!!  I am a germophobe in the kitchen!  Call HAZMAT!!!!  Plus, I like soft cutout cookies.  The crunchy ones are my least favorite cookie.  What if I made cutouts and they were crunchy, then what??

We began eating clean in September 2013.  So "Sugar Cookies" have not been high on the list of things to make!  We do make cookies with mashed banana, oats, nuts, etc.  But how would a sugar cookie translate?

Long story short, the kids have been wanting to make cutouts!  One of the moms in my Insanity Max 30 challenge group posted a recipe late last night.  It was from The Gracious Pantry.  I didn't have all of the ingredients.  So we changed a total of four things and went ahead and made our own rendition this afternoon!

I do not own any cookie cutters!  My daughter has some American Girl Dolls and there was a collection of mini-cookie cutters amongst that set. So we washed them up and put them into action!  

These cookies are a big hit!!  Soft and chewy and fantastic cinnamon flavor.  They are satisfying and memorable.  Give them a try!  Oh, and no raw egg involved.  Phew!  Sigh of relief!!  You could certainly make these with regular cookie cutters.  Enjoy!!

** Please note that the kids really, really wanted to mix in some food coloring here.  We happened to have some in the cupboard from last Easter.  So I let them use it.  I do NOT consider food coloring to be a standard "clean eating" item!  I would not typically use it in a recipe.  This recipe is a pleasant shade of brown!  You could decorate these cookies however you like.

Cinnamon Cutout Cookies
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup raw honey
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (less if you do not want such a flavorful cookie!)

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350.
  2. Use a glass bowl to combine butter, coconut oil and raw honey.  Melt in the microwave. (You may also use a pan on the stove-top for this step.)  
  3. Mix in the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.  Fold in the baking powder and flour.
  4. Lay out a piece of wax paper.  Flatten or roll dough to desired thickness and then use cookie cutters of your choice.
  5. Place cookies on a piece of stoneware.  Bake for 8 minutes is using the smaller size cutters as shown here.  Adjust baking upward for larger cutouts.  ** Do not over-bake!  These cookies are soft and delightful.  With no eggs in the recipe, you do not have to be overly concerned with baking them long enough.
  6.   Enjoy warm or cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment