Monday, April 28, 2014

Which Came First?

While doing some work at the computer this evening, I am thinking about recent conversations that I have had with others who are making changes in their own nutrition.  There has been a common theme of how we really, really no longer care to eat much (if any!) of our junky old favorites.  And this is not just some "self-guilt" thing where we reflect back on a decision and experience emotional/psychological remorse and wish we had done things differently.  It is more than that!  So how did this happen for us?   I think about where I was last summer and what was "normal" for me at that time.  We were honestly not terrible with our eating but there were enough less-than-great things that added up and made for a detrimental effect.  I remember craving certain foods and thinking of how it would be so nice to have a brownie sundae or whatever!  

  
I began with clean eating, Shakeology (dense super-food nutrition) and daily workouts on September 16, 2013.  Believe me, I was NERVOUS about making this change.  What if it didn't pan out for me?  What if it was just too difficult to let go of my old favorites?  I really did enjoy ice cream back then... But eventually the fear of NOT changing overcame my reservations about beginning the process and so I began.  Looking back on that time, this is by far my overwhelming sentiment: It was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be!  The workouts were a challenge, no question about that.  But it was like something within me transformed!  



Not long after I began with the daily Shakeology and clean eating regime, my body no longer craved those old sweet treats!  And this was not just some successful exertion of will-power.  I had tried that road in the past and it never lasted long-term for me.  This was me changing from the inside out!  The things that used to appeal to me were no longer so shiny.  In fact, eating even a serving of certain "non-clean" foods while out socially or on a road trip would leave me feeling pretty icky.  And like I shared about my challengers above, it was not just some head trip where I was scolding myself for a bad choice.  My body system was asking me to please re-fuel with better quality.  



So, which came first?  The change to clean eating while incorporating Shakeology OR the end of my old cravings?  I would say that I made a decision to supply my body with better nutrition.  Then the paradigm shift was suddenly backed-up with an undeniable physical change.  All in all, this key factor is what makes the entire transformation process so very doable for me.  It could be what you are looking for as well?    


It is not that I am now so perfect with my nutrition choices!  I still have my weak spots.  And nuts are one of them!  For example, I was at Wegmans this morning and kept thinking of Macadamia nuts.  So I purchased a small handful of them from the bulk section.  And seriously savored that treat!  They were not a part of my calorie target for the day.  But oh well!  Last year I would have picked up a couple of cookies or perhaps a muffin during my grocery outing.  Some days a treat would be a more complex coffee drink.  Starbucks Cafe Mocha!?!  I still LOVE my coffee, b have come to enjoy it black as of two months ago.  Now that part is a surprise to me!  Now more than ever, it does have to be GOOD coffee!  I have always been a bit of a coffee-snob and these days I can really taste the flavor of my coffee and do look forward to it each day.  Even better is coffee with a friend!  My life is full of so many good things and looking forward to certain not-so-beneficial foods is just no longer part of the equation. 


All of this reflection on transforming our health through better nutrition brings something else to mind!  A favorite Scripture passage that has been a mainstay in my own life says,  "Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." ~ Romans 12:2.  A frequent prayer of mine is found in Psalm 119:37 where I read, "Turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through your word."  There are so many things that we turn to in order to try and fill the empty spots in our lives.  It is really only through placing my HOPE in God that I find the anchor for my days.  Here is a song that I have had on repeat these past few weeks!  Take a listen to this Song that Shapes My Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment