Friday, April 11, 2014

Kid Tested Tools to Share: LED Magnifiers (#1 in Series)

Much to my surprise, I became a homeschooling mom at the start of the 2013-14 school year!  Last year at this time I was brand-new to researching curriculum, tools, programs and co-ops as we began to form our own approach to education.  There have been quite a few tools and products that we have come to love.  They are useful for a variety of purposes.  These are items that are not specific to homeschooling but are great for kids in general.  This past year I have spent more hands-on time with my kids than ever before.  I just decided to begin a series of blog entries that will highlight some of our favorite items!  Today I am writing #1 in the series... So I selected the item that has been of HUGE value in our home this past year. 

Our daughter has been in first grade here at home this year after having attended a township elementary school during kindergarten last year.  Our son has been enjoying his final year of preschool and spends three mornings each week at the private preschool that our family has been connected with for the past four years.  During his two mornings at home (and five afternoons at home!), I have been doing some low-key homeschooling with him as well.   I have learned SO much this past year and have really enjoyed this adventure!  Some days are much better than others, as with anything in life!


LED Magnifiers (Set of 2)

We purchased this set last Spring, initially thinking that they would be used primarily for our science units.  WRONG!  My son is very much into these magnifiers and uses them almost daily for a variety of things.  The ring of LED lights are really perfect. He is a kid that loves a regular flashlight.  So to have a magnifier with cool styling and nifty lights is totally his thing.  Oftentimes I see him speeding through the house, magnifier in hand!  He has just thought of something that he wants to explore further and will spend a good bit of time examining everyday household items in great detail.  These tools are made to last!  I don't even want to think of how many times they have been dropped, carted off on nature walks, squeezed into small spaces and clutched by sweaty little palms.  After nearly a year of frequent use by a 4/5 year old boy, they are just as good as new!  Well worth the $14 cost for a set of two. (Magnifiers on Amazon) They are excellent with battery life and that is a key factor in our home.  I dread changing batteries and am just not very good with maintaining the battery-operated toys!   


Here is my favorite use of this tool... looking at picture books!  Especially the childhood classics from when I was a kid.  Children's books from that era are illustrated with much greater detail.  I enjoy reading with both of the kids.  But between my daughter asking 500 questions and wanting to discuss each nuance of the story and my son being an active little guy who is typically climbing, crashing or causing some commotion, joint story-time can be far less rosy than I had pictured.  But send him to retrieve one of his magnifiers and it is a different scene.  We are fans of the library and I always enjoy bringing home a few of my old favorites.  Last night we were reading this one together and it was a highlight of our day!  The magnifiers played a big part in that.



   

1 comment:

  1. The book "Scruffy The Tugboat" was first printed in 1946! The author is Gertrude Crampton and this wonderful little book is illustrated by Tibor Gergely.

    ReplyDelete