Saturday, January 17, 2015

Clean Eating Nutty Oatmeal Cookies

Clean Eating Cookies, Recipes, Healthy Cookies
Hello!  I am a mom with children who are ages 5 and 8.  We began eating clean in September 2013 and it has been life-changing for my family.  But this doesn't mean that we don't still enjoy some cookies every once in a while.  I will just go ahead and say that I do not make cookies all that often.  I do not eat them in a responsible manner.  Cookies are my weakness!  Yesterday my 5 year old son was asking if we could "please make a new healthy cookie recipe"?  He went on to list some ingredients that he would like to include.  That made me smile, as they were all very logical cookie ingredients and did wind up in the recipe that we made.  :)  I have made other treat recipes that have banana as the only sweetener and some sort of bean as the grain.  These nutty oatmeal cookies are not quite of that category of "healthy" cookie.  They do still involve a healthy fat and some low-glycemic coconut palm sugar, plus raw honey.  I think that these came out GREAT!  I actually had one just now and I like this recipe.  I began by searching online for recipe ideas and then took one and changed a few things to make it suit us - and also to match my son's ingredient recommendations!  I hope that you enjoy this one as much as we are!

Clean Eating Nutty Oatmeal Cookies
  • 1/2 c. coconut oil
  • 3 Tbsp. raw honey
  • Just under 1/4 c. coconut palm sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 egg 
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp. cinnamon (to taste - we like cinnamon lots!)
  • 3 Tbsp. water
  • 2 c. rolled oats (I used 1/2 old-fashioned oats and 1/2 quick oats)
  • 2/3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup raisins
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Use a glass bowl to melt the coconut oil and the raw honey.  Whisk in the palm sugar and vanilla.  Add egg and mix well.  Next whisk in the water and the cinnamon.  Switch to a mixing spoon and fold in the oats, salt, baking soda, flour, and chopped walnuts.  You may choose to divide the dough at this point and add chocolate chips to one bowl and the raisins to the remaining portion. 
  3. Drop by tablespoons onto stoneware baking sheet.  Flatten a bit BEFORE baking!
  4. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until bottoms or until cookies have set. Makes 20-22 cookies.
    clean eating cookies, cookie recipe, Oatmeal cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment