Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Healthy Buffalo Chicken Pizza + Chicken Parmesan Pizza

Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Clean Eating

Hello!  Tonight's blog topic is all about what we had for dinner here this evening!  My husband is such a fan of Buffalo Chicken Pizza.  Prior to this evening, I had never made a homemade version!  This is something that we would get every once in a while through takeout and I liked it but really could not enjoy it all that much, guessing at what all I was probably consuming while eating it!  A few days ago, a friend of mine named Lisa who is also a Team Beachbody coach posted a link to where she had blogged a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Pizza!  I know how Lisa cooks and was immediately intrigued with the possibility of a "made-over" version of this favorite! I am actually going to just direct you to her page right here.  You may be surprised by the "sauce" ingredients??  :)  Other than skipping the green onions due to personal preference, we followed her recipe exactly!

But what about the kids?  Our children are ages 5 and 8.  They will actually tolerate a bit more spice than some kids.  But I knew that I was really making this one for my husband and I didn't want to dial it down for them... so I just set aside some of the chicken and did NOT apply any of the buffalo sauce to it.  I had some of our favorite tomato sauce (see photo below) on hand and I used that. I find this sauce in the Nature's Marketplace organic section at our local Wegmans.  It is low in sodium, the ingredients are simple and the taste is fantastic!  All of the pizza we made this evening was very "light on the cheese" and that is okay!  As our tastes adjust and we rearrange our expectations of how food "should" look and taste, we come to realize that we really do not need or even want to much of what is served as status quo in our country these days!  So, back to the pizza... I used the same whole wheat crust and added some of this sauce, a bit of mozzarella, the plain cooked chicken and a sprinkle of Parmesan!  EASY.  And so much better for us than pepperoni pizza would be!  Even this sort of "healthy" pizza is not something that I am going to eat regularly, as the carb ratio is a bit high for what I typically eat.  But as pizza goes, this is an excellent option and we will surely enjoy both the Buffalo Chicken and the Chicken Parmesan from time to time!


The kids each ended up having a second piece of pizza.  This dinner was a winner!  We also really enjoy our veggies.  I was going to add celery to this mix but the kids ate all of my celery at 4:30 this afternoon.  Oh well, things could be worse!  Dinner was running a bit late this evening because we got carried away with a study on Snowy Owls.  :)  As you can see, the kids had a nibble of the crust before the pizza made it into the oven...

Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Clean Eating
 

No comments:

Post a Comment