Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Family Friendly Asian Chicken Salad


I was in the mood to add a different flavor to our menu this week.  I had posted in one of my challenge groups about doing a recipe swap over this past weekend.  The idea was to share either a brand-new or old favorite clean-eating recipe.  I was searching the web for an Asian Chicken Salad and I came across one from Clean Eating Magazine.  I was intrigued and added it to my menu planning for the week.  On grocery day, I  *thought* that I had red pepper flakes in the cupboard and low-sodium soy sauce in the fridge door.  NOPE, as I discovered on cooking day... It happens!  Time to make an original!  I was already planning on subbing in my existing Almond Butter for the Cashew Butter.  Plus our favorite is the Wegmans Organic Vegetable Broth.  And I am always just skipping any scallions as they are not a favorite of mine!  Thankfully, I had make a point to pick up the fresh ginger and cilantro and I have to say that those two ingredients really made the flavors pop for me!  

Oh boy!  This is starting to sound like one of those situations where a user comments on a recipe and says how much they loved it.  Especially with the 27 things that they changed while making it for the first time.  You know what I mean!  You can work from the Clean Eating Magazine link from above and make that exact version.  Or you can work from my modified plan below.  OR come up with something entirely your own that is "inspired" by these recipes.  I do that all the time!

Here is what I did to make the Asian Chicken Salad pictured above:


Thoroughly brown 4 chicken breasts over medium-high heat.  Place in oven and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Yes, I like my chicken DONE.  Really, really done.  You can prepare yours however you like!  Once the chicken has cooled, slice it into cubes and place in a bowl.  Juice 3 lemons and toss the chicken.  Allow to chill for at least two hours and the chicken will really pick up the lemon flavor.  This will also keep it from becoming too dry, due to the possible "overcooking" method mentioned above!  It also really helps to cut that "chicken flavor".  The chicken flavor makes me want to leave the table and run away!  I do my best to remedy this situation in healthful ways.  Enough lemon will do the trick! 

Peel 2 carrots, cut into pieces and then dice with the Pampered Chef Food Chopper.  Or you could also grate your carrots.  Set aside.

Take 1 seedless cucumber and slice with a medium thickness.  Cut slices into quarters.  Set aside.

Pull apart 3 or so tablespoons of fresh cilantro leaves.  Set aside.

You will want 3 or so cups of baby spinach.  Wash if needed and place as your base within salad bowls.

You may also include a whole wheat pita as your bread of choice. 
  
Dressing to be whisked together in a bowl:
  • 2 tbsp natural unsalted almond butter
  • 3 tbsp Wegmans Organic Vegetable Broth
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
  • 2 tsp low-sodium Teriyaki Sauce
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin 
Now it is time to assemble your salads!  I begin by creating a bed of spinach.  Then add your cucumber and carrot.  Sprinkle in a few cilantro leaves.  Top with your chicken breast.  Next take your dressing and drizzle it lightly over the chicken.  Finish off with a bit more carrot and cilantro.  You may also add a pita or other bread on the side.

* My kids typically prefer their salad without any dressing.  I also left the cilantro out of their bowls, knowing that they are not really fans of it.  Other than that, they were happily eating spinach, cucumbers, carrots, lemony chicken and 1/4 of a pita.  All in all, I am very pleased with that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment