Thursday, May 8, 2014

Berry Trifle Make-Over!!


This morning I put together a trifle to share with my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group.  First, I just have to say that I LOVE my Trifle Bowl!  This one in particular is a Pampered Chef product.  The base is separate from the bowl and nests inside the bowl for easy storage.  The set also includes a nice lid that seals well.  For the saran-wrap challenged like myself, this is a bonus!

But back to the Berry Trifle itself.  I have been assembling this sort of simple trifle for years.  But since we switched over to Clean Eating in September of 2013, a few of our staples had to go!  For example, our Natural Granola and Low-Fat Lemon Yogurt did not make the cut.  But more on all of that below.  I have been utilizing the 21 Day Fix program since March of 2014.  Upon beginning with this program I realized that I was not eating nearly enough protein each day!  I was actually close to half of the amount that my body really needs to work at top potential.  Not being a huge lover of chicken and other lean proteins, HOW was I going to eat four servings of protein each day?!?  I have my Shakeology for breakfast each morning and that counts as one.  Our family eats dinner together and the main entree there is typically going to be chicken or salmon or occasionally beef.  But what about those other two suggested servings of protein?  I oftentimes have two hard-boiled (baked, actually!) egg whites with one of my snacks or lunch.  But NOW WHAT??  Another serving of protein?!?  This is where Greek Yogurt comes in to save the day!  I add a serving of fresh or thawed frozen berries and I am genuinely enjoying a tasty treat!  My favorite berry blend is the Blackberry/Raspberry/Blueberry blend.  Sam's Club carries a frozen variety for a decent price.  I also LOVE fresh berries and we are just coming into my favorite time of the year where local berries will soon be available! 

When deciding to have some yogurt, we find an incredible range available!  It did take me a little while to adjust to the taste and texture of Greek Yogurt.  I do enjoy having it with berries and/or granola.  Completely on its own would still be a stretch for me.  But check out the contrast below and then try to go on eating the "other stuff" once you know that you could be fueling your body much more efficiently.   Not to mention you are consuming 1/4 the sugar and THREE times the protein plus half the calories when going with the Greek Yogurt rather than the regular Blended Low-fat Lemon Yogurt.  


And now on to my FAVORITE granola!  When making the switch to clean eating, I was so surprised to find sugar as a second ingredient in something like 8 out of 10 granola varieties offered in the Bulk Section at Wegmans.  I found two that are made with honey rather than sugar.  My favorite is called "Save the Forest" and is only available at Wegmans Peach if you are shopping the Erie stores.  Wegmans West does carry the other "honey" variety in their regular bulk section.  It is made with dried raspberries and is a fine option.  But the nutty-cinnamon goodness of Save the Forest makes it such a treat!


So, back to the Trifle!  This is literally the most simple combination! 

Berry Trifle as Pictured Below:
1.5 containers (32 Ounce size) of the Greek Yogurt
6-7 Cups Thawed Frozen Berries 
4-5 cups of Save the Forest Granola  

Begin by spooning some yogurt into the bottom of the Trifle Bowl.  Gently top with some of your berries and then granola.  Repeat the layers until you have incorporated all of your ingredients.  Keep chilled until serving.  Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment