Saturday, February 28, 2015

Our FAVORITE Clean Eating Soup!!!

Clean Eating, Chicken Soup, Healthy Soup

Good morning!  Welcome to my kitchen!  Today I am very happy to share with you our own MOST favorite clean eating soup recipe.  I have actually been making this soup for more than a year now.  I first began with the base recipe which my sister Rachel had shared on her blog.  Check that out here.  I made a few modifications to the technique to make this soup a perfect fit for our family.  More often than not, I make this soup to share with a group.  This means that like to do the prep ahead of time and then I am able to focus on other things.  Sometimes we are hosting friends here or preparing to take this soup as part of a meal being delivered to a family who has welcomed a new baby, moved into a new home, are recovering from surgery, etc.  This soup is wonderful for just about any situation.  I just decided to go ahead and blog this recipe myself, after having shared my own steps within a FB comment last night.  I make this soup all of the time and it would be easier to be able to share exactly "how" from my own blog entry here rather than searching for a long-lost FB thread.  :)  Thank you again to my sister for having gotten me started with this excellent recipe.

Chicken Spinach and Rice Soup

* Serves MANY ~ 12-14 or so.  I make this in a large crock-pot but you could cut the recipe in half for a standard crock-pot! 

8 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 Bell Peppers of Any Color
1 Vidalia Onion
6 Stalks of Celery
3 Cups Cherry Tomatoes 
1 Package Frozen Chopped Spinach (10 oz.) * Begin to thaw when starting chicken
96 Ounces of Wegmans Organic Vegetable Broth (3 cartons)
2 Cups Lundberg Organic Brown Rice, Short Grain, Sprouted
Butter for Sauteeing
Salt and Pepper to Season
1 Tablespoon Oregano
2 Teaspoons Thyme
 
1) Trim up 8 chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

2) Place baked chicken in crock-pot and cover with two cartons of Wegmans Organic Vegetable Broth.


3) Allow chicken to cook on low for 4-6 hours and then shred. Keep in crock-pot.

4) Chop bell peppers, Vidalia onion and celery. Sauté these veggies in a bit of butter plus the thyme and oregano. Add to crockpot.

5) Cook 2 cups of Lundberg brown rice for 20 minutes rather than the full 30. Drain. Add to crock-pot along with the remaining carton of veggie stock.

6) Add a somewhat thawed packet of chopped frozen spinach. Submerge and stir.

7) Top with halved cherry tomatoes.

8) Replace crock-pot lid and cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2+ hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment