Monday, May 16, 2016

Meal Plan 22 Minute Hard Corps + Snack Tips!

22 Minute Hard Corps, Meal Planning, Snacks, Tony Horton, Healthy Nutrition
Hello!  It is a sunny Monday morning here in Erie, PA.  Looks like we have a nice day ahead, which is a contrast from the snow (!?! May 15th???) of yesterday!

I have been making my way through Tony Horton's newest program which is called 22 Minute Hard Corps.  Guess what?  Guess what??  This is my 9th program from Team Beachbody and it is solidly within my own Top 3 favorites!  Here is more about what this bootcamp program is like!  7 weeks in and the term that keeps coming to mind is "functional fitness".  Tony talks about this and I am living it!  The moves are simple.  The routines are short (22 minutes start to finish!) and I am seeing progress within myself!  I am finding the most changes in my core and upper body with this one.  Which is perfect as I had done the 60 days of the then-new Hammer and Chisel prior to this and I will return to it again in two weeks!  Hammer and Chisel is a lifitng-based program with Autumn and Sagi and it is soooooo much focus on your lower body amidst the lifting.  I saw the most strength and definition (EVER!) in my legs with that Hammer and Chisel!  But first, time to "dial it in" with 2 more weeks of 22 Minute Hard Corps!  This is an 8 week program with the option of a 9th week called "Hell Week" and that one is set up like a doubles week from the 21 Day Fix.  You know what?  I am going to go for it!  But here is the KEY THING.  I could do four workout routines a day BUT if I do not have nutrition on track, I am just not going to feel as good as I could, nor will I see the results!

 weight loss, life change, healthy, lower cholesterol, meal planning

I just finished putting together my simple meal plan for this upcoming week!  I was also sharing with my accountability group about the importance of quality snacks and I will include some of that info in this entry as well.  :)

With 22 Minute Hard Corps, you have a specific layout with which food categories you are eating within certain meals/snacks throughout your day.  I have SO APPRECIATED Tony Horton putting this together for us!  One thing that I have done a bit differently is that I do count my "Recover" from our super-helpful Performance Line as a protein serving.  It includes 20 grams of protein and I just shake it up with water and ice as my post-workout recovery.  You can technically count this as a "free" food within your plan.  But I find it to be quite filling and I am just not ready to take in another protein at that same time of the day!  I also spread out my breakfast a bit by eating my first two grain servings an hour or so before my workout.  I have my Bible study time and enjoy my toast and coffee early in the morning.  With not eating in the later evenings and following the 22 plan of having your grains earlier in the day, I wake up HUNGRY!  :)  I have found that my workout goes best when I eat my toast first.  If I were working out immediately upon waking, that would not work so well.  But with waking an hour earlier to do my Bible study time and some work in my challenge groups, it is a good fit.  Other than those two things (Recover counted as a protein and spreading my breakfast over a bit of my morning routine), everything else here is right on track with what is recommended for my nutrition bracket.  

22 Minute Hard Corps Meal Plan, Meal Planning, Healthy Eating
 
My nutrition plan is SIMPLE.  I repeat things throughout my week.  This makes shopping and prep much easier to manage.  If you like to be more adventurous in the kitchen, you could certainly do that!  The main thing is to hit your planned # of servings per food category (protein, grains, fruit, veggie, healthy fats) and to keep your portion sizes in line.  Even if I do not exactly follow my meal plan as the week goes by, my focus is to HIT THE CATEGORIES.  No matter if I sub in some broccoli in place of green beans.  Or beef for chicken.  Or an apple for a banana.  Or avocado for almonds... :)

At the start of last week, I was talking with my challengers (I am a coach with Team Beachbody and I host "secret" FB accountability groups!) about setting goals for the next three weeks.  I shared this as my own focus area:

Here we go! Mid-section is my focus area these next few weeks!

What does this mean to me? Time to buckle down on nutrition and cut some of the "extras" which have been creeping in lately.

Now that I have a photo taken, I am going to CHALLENGE myself to pull through those hard moments of decision. I am DETERMINED to make progress worth celebrating!


I still have a ways to go and MUCH progress yet to make!  This mid-section area and also my upper arms have been my "final frontier".  Looking back on where I started, I am encouraged to be where I am today!  

22 Minute Hard Corps Meal Plan, Meal Planning, Healthy Eating, 21 Day Fix, Weight Loss

BOTTOM LINE - my meals are typically going to turn out okay at this point in my health journey. But snacks can be my "battleground nutrition" area. They are going to make or break my day! And the biggest thing for me with snacks is that I PREP THEM so that I have the right things available to eat while on the run! 

If I snack well, I tend to eat well in general. Keeping a Quest Bar in my purse at all times is something that I tend to do. Almonds would be another great option. BUT, I would eat them. Every day. So I can't pick that one! I do take veggies with me more often than not as I leave the house. It is just a good way to get them in and also staves off hunger and wanting to stop and pick up something extra along the way. I have a little insulated bag and as the weather becomes warmer, we will utilize that bag almost daily as the kids and I run around on our summer days. I bring along fruits and veggies. Sometimes hummus or cheese. They like the "squeeze-y" applesauce. If I won't have it out for tooooo long, I will include Greek yogurt and typically top it with frozen berries. Check out the image below for more ideas!

Snacks are important! It is helpful to keep our bodies burning as the day goes by and also to avoid being soooooo hungry at meal time that we then make poor choices or overdo it.

Here is a blog entry with different ways to boost our metabolism.  Why not give ourselves some advantages in this area, right?? 

Trail Mix can be a really great snack. BUT, it does require caution!  Check out these trail mix tips

When we really take a good look at goals, I could summarize by saying:
"May my genuine effort and daily action match my goals." 

This applies to our health goals as well as in other areas of life!

I know what I need to do. Nutrition needs to be on point. Full effort is required within each of my workouts. It comes down to discipline, focus and vision!

If you could use some help in this area, check out the application below if you would like to be considered for a spot in my upcoming challenge group!  
I remember what it used to be like when I didn't have a plan. No specific direction with nutrition. Just wanting to "do better". I remember when I didn't have a home workout program. I would try to "be more active" and sometimes that would pan out and sometimes not. I remember when I didn't have a challenge group -- my accountability community via "secret" FB group has been a <<LIFESAVER>> anyways, before all that... I would want to talk to someone but it was hard to know who. There were the people who already knew how many times I had tried and failed. There were others who did NOT want to have to think of feeling obligated to make changes themselves. They didn't want to hear about any of this. There were my much more fit friends. I felt intimidated to ask them about things (that was on me! I am sure they would have helped!) and there was my husband and closest friends. They could clearly see that I wasn't on a path of health but it is hard to know where and when and how to intervene. 

 22 Minute Hard Corps Meal Plan, Meal Planning, Healthy Eating

RIGHT NOW in my challenge groups, LIFE CHANGE is happening. SO much to celebrate there! Women down 40+ and 20 pounds as of this week! Landmark week for them! Women becoming stronger and less self-conscious of certain body parts. Women showing up in more photographs on their FB pages which shows that they are feeling good and want to actually be IN the photo with their kids. I LOVE that! Women extending life change to their husbands and their health. Women fitting into clothes that have not fit since pre-kid days... 3 kids ago! Women doing push-ups when that was never an ability they had in the past! Women seeing photos/mirrors of themselves and not believing that this could really be them! Women buying a heavier set of weights because it is time to bump up! 

Women setting goals, taking action and encouraging each other! I LOVE being part of this!
Is something like this missing in your own life? Would you like to learn more about it? I will soon be putting my next group together! Why not you?  This summer could be our best yet!

Fill out my online form.
The easy to use Wufoo form builder helps you make forms easy, fast, and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment