Tuesday, September 8, 2015

"Hold the Sugar" Chewy Cookies

Clean Eating, Clean Baking, Cookies, No Sugar, Banana, Oats

Hello!  Welcome to my blog!  It is HOT here today in Erie.  In fact, it has been unseasonably warm lately.  BUT, most of us are not complaining!  I am thankful for our central air to contrast with the temps and humidity out there.

So what compelled me to bake cookies when the kids came home from school today??  Hmm... I suppose that it is just something that I have been thinking that I wanted to do?  I had two ripe bananas and was eager to play around with creating a new recipe.  I have to say that this one is a keeper!  What can I say??  My weakness is a chewy cookie!  These are dense but not overly heavy.  They are soft but not too cake-like.  These cookies are reminiscent of a banana bread but are not crumbly.  I appreciate the natural sweetener of the bananas and a bit of honey.  With moderate amounts of butter and peanut butter, they are not out of control in the healthy fats department!  Have you ever baked with whole wheat pastry flour?  I LOVE using it here!  Enjoy!! 

Clean Eating, Clean Baking, Cookies, No Sugar, Banana, Oats

"Hold the Sugar" Chewy Cookies
              Makes 18 large cookies
2 Ripe Bananas - Mashed
1/4 Cup Butter
3 Tbsp. All-Natural PB
3 Tbsp. Raw Honey 
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/3 Cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
1/3 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 375. Soften butter and raw honey.  Cream with PB. Add mashed banana, egg and vanilla.  Mix until combined.  Fold in your dry ingredients: salt, baking soda, oats and flour.  Mixture will be thick and sticky!  Mix in your nuts and chocolate chips.
Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a baking stone.  I use my "medium" stainless steel scoop from Pampered Chef.  No need to prepare this type of surface.  After dropping by tablespoons, flatten slightly.   Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.  DO NOT over-bake!  Cookies are "poofy" but will cook through quite well.  

Here is a blog entry with more details on some of my own favorite kitchen tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment