Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Challenger Spotlight: Tina Kociolek (#3 in Series)

PiYo, Clean Eating, Getting Healthy

Hello!  Welcome to my blog!  My name is Jeanette Paradis and I am a Diamond Coach with Team Beachbody.  A key part of what I do involves running "Challenge Groups" which are secret FB groups where individuals come together to work on our fitness and nutrition.  Today I would like to feature one of my challengers who first contacted me last spring about making some changes with her own health.  I met Tina Kociolek years ago.  She and I share a history of being MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) moms at First Alliance Church.  Tina's time there was just before mine.  As I was entering the group with my firstborn, Tina was just getting ready to "graduate" as her youngest went off to school.  Next I knew Tina through her role at the Experience Erie Children's Museum.  I always appreciated her warm smile and capable approach as our MOPS group planned outings to her place.  Fast forward a few years and I knew Tina through her role as the marketing director at Chick-fil-A.  Again we interacted as I was the MOPS Coordinator and many MOPS moms utilize Chick-fil-A!  Long story short, I have known Tina for a while and she is someone that I have always looked up to as being one-stage-ahead-of-me in motherhood and life.  I like her attitude and approach to things.  

We kept messaging one another this past spring and summer, following that first time when Tina had asked me about challenge groups back in March.  In July, she was ready to begin!  She has been an asset in several of my groups ever since.  Tina began with our 3-Day Refresh program when it was brand-new.  Then she moved on to PiYo as her workout and I had to smile when she posted the following in our "FALL Challenge" group earlier today: "I must profess my love for PiYo.... When I started weeks ago I was jog/ walking and felt reasonably strong cardiowise however my arms, wrists, upper body were SO weak. The first few weeks seemed to be strengthening those areas for me. I think it's so cool that as you get stronger your body adapts to the workouts and then new areas get the chance to tone. Right now for me I can feel my upper back, sides and glutes getting more defined. Love it!" 

I asked Tina a few questions and I really enjoyed hearing her heart on these topics.  THIS is one of my favorite things about being a coach!  These lifestyle changes are about SO much more than losing a few pounds or inches.   

Clean Eating, PiYo, Lifestyle Changes

Tell us about yourself... I work part-time as a Marketing Director, happily married with two teenage boys. I was a cheerleader in high school and taught aerobics in college too. After moving to Erie from New Hampshire I stayed at home with our boys and enjoyed working out every day by bringing them to the child watch area; it was a break for me! Fast forward a few years.... Both boys were in school and I was working part-time. Exercise became less of a priority and I gained 20 lbs without really even noticing it. (I seriously think I was wearing my clothes way too lose back then!) 

What prompted you to get started with this lifestyle change? I was struggling with a lack of energy and struggling again with depression. Our boys are older and they don't need my help with everything. I could sleep 10 hours, get them to school, work, and then take a nap every day if I needed to. When summer came and they were home all day I realized just how little energy I had left. 

What has been the biggest surprise so far? Using PiYo has changed my vision of exercise. I used to think of exercising (even while teaching aerobics) only as a means to lose or maintain weight. I'm finally realizing that I really need this to improve my quality of life. 

What have you found to be most rewarding about making these changes? Having more energy makes me a better mom, wife, employee and friend too. I can accomplish so much more when I'm eating clean AND exercising too. 

Any suggestions for those who are on the fence about jumping in themselves? Great question, honestly I think sharing the real struggles that we each have every day helps. I truly believe that you have to be ready and willing to finally do this for yourself. It's hard to convince someone to take that leap of faith. Your posts on Facebook encouraged me and for that I will be forever grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment